> Blog > Activities > 10 Things I Just Learned About “The Salvation Army”
10 Things I Just Learned About “The Salvation Army”
When we speak to people about “The Salvation Army” and all the wonderful work they do for society a common response will be “I didn’t know that!” I found myself saying that same thing a short time ago as I was listening to JoAnn Callaway talk about them. I’ve always known the Army was there ringing the bells throughout the holidays and “Real Estate Wednesdays” was created to help but now I know they do much more. Let me give you some examples of the Army’s presence in the valley…
1. Adult Rehabilitation Centers (ARC’s) help men and women overcome serious life problems, such as drug and alcohol dependencies. The ARC gives them opportunities to stabilize their lives and regain confidence and self-respect with a free six-month residential and work therapy. The Salvation Army is on the front lines fighting the opioid crisis.
2. Project HOPE is a wonderful program that provides daily contact with homeless individuals on the street and in parks throughout the valley.
3. Shelters for homeless families with children and victims of domestic violence.
4. Year-round feeding programs; Thanksgiving and Christmas Day dinners, hosting thousands on-site and home delivered meals.
5. Two low-income housing facilities for seniors; a recreation center for seniors in downtown Phoenix.
6. Disaster relief services such as hydration stations throughout the valley during record-breaking heat; food and shelter as necessary. One hundred percent of disaster donations go directly to the need, no administrative pass-through.
7. Camp Ponderosa Ranch is a camp in Heber for underprivileged youth, children of military families, and seniors.
8. “Christmas Angel” program provides new toys and clothing for 50,000 valley children each holiday season.
9. “Adopt-a-Family” program serves several hundred needy families each holiday season.
10. Youth programs that include mentoring, tutoring, academic and sports programs.
With nearly 7,700 centers of operation in the United States, The Salvation Army assists about 29 million people nationwide 365 days a year, almost 4.5 million of those during the holiday season.
Leave a Response
Sign up to get the latest news, listings, and Open House information. We respect your privacy and will not share your information with anyone.
Unsubscribe at any time.